Check out our Safety Days, Medical Training, Food Drive and more Events on our Calendar.
RANGES OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
Saturdays 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Sundays 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Wednesdays (Shotgun only) 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Active Members may shoot at the Club's Ranges and Fields any time between sunrise and sunset seven days a week, 361 days a year. WCGC shooting ranges will be closed during cultural holidays such as winter and summer solstices and spring and autumn equinoxes. Please see Calendar for Dates and Times of Special Events and Special Closures.
WCGC does not take Reservations
First Come • First Serve
CLICK BUTTON below to sign and agree to participate in activities at WCGC. Signing this waiver is voluntary. However, use of range or presence on premises is dependent on signature. Signed waiver is good for one year.
WINCHESTER CANYON GUN CLUB RANGE RULES
1. The RANGEMASTER and TRAPMASTER have ABSOLUTE AND FINAL AUTHORITY OVER THE RANGES AND FIELDS, AND MAY EXPEL ANYONE AT THEIR SOLE DISCRETION. Safety is our highest priority. Anyone who sees a violation of these Range Rules or any unsafe activity should inform the Rangemaster or Trapmaster immediately. If neither is available, the person seeing the problem has the responsibility and authority to correct the violation as quickly as safety permits. Safety is EVERYONE’s responsibility.
2. All shooters and guests of shooters (members or non-members) MUST sign a waiver prior to any shooting on the ranges. This includes all events. Adult parent/guardian must sign a waiver for all minors that they accompany. Adult Shooters must be over the age of 21 or over the age of 18 with a valid & unexpired Hunting License. Signed waiver is good for one year. https://wildlife.ca.gov/Hunter-Education
3. Minors under the age of 18 MUST be under the direct control and immediate close supervision of a responsible accompanying adult at all times on any range. IN ADDITION, in order to shoot a handgun at WCGC, a person under 18 MUST be under the direct control of a parent or legal guardian. WCGC employees will NOT act as an accompanying adult. Adult Shooters must be over the age of 21 or over the age of 18 with a valid & unexpired Hunting License. https://wildlife.ca.gov/Hunter-Education
4. Instruction. A certified firearms instructor approved by the Board MUST be present whenever live fire instruction is given at any Club sponsored event.
5. BOTH EYE AND HEARING PROTECTION ARE MANDATORY for anyone on or nearby any Range or firing line.
6. Use only handguns on the Handgun Range, rifles on the Rifle Range, and only shotguns on the Trap and Skeet Fields. Handguns and shotguns are permitted on the 200 yard range IF REQUIRED DURING A BOARD APPROVED EVENT. .22 rimfire rifles are permitted on the handgun range or rifle range. Class III firearms are permitted only for board-approved events such as Law Enforcement training. Firing modern rifles chambered for caliber .50 BMG and larger is prohibited. This prohibition does not apply to handguns, muzzle loading firearms or rifles chambered for one of the early black powder cartridges.
7. Point muzzles in a safe direction. When not on the firing line, all firearms will be unloaded, with action open and muzzle pointed in a safe direction (usually pointed down on the shotgun fields and up on rifle and handgun ranges). Rifles not in use will be completely unloaded, with actions open and racked or cased. Unused handguns will be completely unloaded, with actions open, and placed on a bench or cased. Leaving the range area with a holstered handgun may be allowed at the discretion of the Rangemaster. At no time will a firearm be loaded except when shooting on the firing line or on command during a match or event. Drawing and firing a handgun from a holster is allowed only if required by the certified instructor or event chair.
8. Targets. It is prohibited to shoot at structures, walls, exploding targets, glass, rocks, hard flat surfaces, or trash. Do NOT place targets where they may cause rounds to "skip" out of the range boundaries. Use only paper targets, posted on properly constructed frames or the range- supplied metal gongs on the handgun range. Board authorized events may feature other targets including, metallic silhouettes, bowling pins and falling steel plates. Only bio-degradable clay targets are allowed on the shotgun fields.
9. Aimed fire only. Poorly aimed rapid fire (Spray and Pray) is prohibited on all ranges at all times.
10. Stay behind the firing line. No one shall go forward of the rifle or handgun bay pads or shotgun shooting stations for any reason while the range is live. The range or field must be closed and the red flag properly posted in front of the firing lines before going downrange.
11. Cease fires. When a cease fire is called, all firearms must be completely unloaded, actions must be opened, rifles must be placed in a rack, and handguns must be placed on a bench or in a case. Handling of firearms is absolutely forbidden for any reason whenever anyone is forward of the firing line.
12. Use of the club by members: The club is closed to all shooting on the equinoxes, solstices, and board-approved Native American ceremonial days. Use of the ranges by members and their guest(s) is allowed on all other days from sunrise to sunset. Members must be present with their guest(s). Lending WCGC membership cards or gate combinations is prohibited. Gates shall be kept locked except when the ranges are open to the general public. Only Board authorized personnel may open containers, or club buildings.
13. Use of the 200 yard range is restricted. During public hours of operation, access to the 200 yard range is limited to board authorized events and under control of the Rangemaster with coordination of the event chair. Individual shooters may be allowed to use the 200 yard range at the sole discretion of the Rangemaster. See full WCGC 200 Yard Range Protocols HERE.
14. Clean-up. Leave the range in better condition than you found it. Clean up brass, empty shells, and targets. Put unfired or DUD rounds in the appropriate containers or take them with you. Do NOT put them in the regular trash.
15. NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES MAY BE CONSUMED ON THE FIRING LINE. Persons under the influence of alcohol or drugs are not permitted on any firing line. ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN ON THE RIFLE AND HANDGUN RANGES.
16. Respect those around you! Keep ALL pets on a leash or contained at all times. Pets are NOT allowed on any firing line or shotgun station at any time. Behavior that disturbs or distracts others is dangerous and prohibited. Follow the RULES specific to any range, field or event. Comply immediately with direction from the Rangemasters, Trapmasters or event chairs. Your life and the safety and lives of those around you depend on it.
All firearm instruction at Winchester Canyon Gun Club must be by a Certified Firearms Instructor approved by the WCGC Board and MUST be present whenever live fire instruction is given at the WCGC Range.
Winchester Canyon offers Shotgun Instruction by our qualified and certified staff.
Please see more information here regarding Shotgun Instruction at WCGC: SHOTGUN RANGE INFO
For all other instruction, please see our list below of the WCGC Approved Instructors. If you are receiving instruction or see someone receiving instruction by a non authorized instructor, please contact the Range Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) immediately.
WCGC Approved Instructors
Winchester Canyon Gun Club
Range Manager: Mike Morrison
WCGC Certified Firearm Instructors
Website: WCGC Shotgun Range Info
Paratus Training LLC
Owner / Instructor: Rob Holcombe
Instructor: Daniel Massey
Instructor: Ryan Wiener
Owner / Instructor: Justine Young
Adamas Firearms Training
Owner/Instructor: Tanner Diamond
Phone: (661) 993-8156
Central Coast Tactical, LLC
NATIONAL FOREST REGULATIONS REMINDER
A reminder regarding discharging a firearm within the Los Padres National Forest. Please note, Winchester Canyon Gun Club follows Forest Order 05-07-00-21-01 to the fullest.
The discharging of any firearms is only allowed in "DESIGNATED TARGET RANGES". WCGC Rules state that discharging firearms is only allowed in designated firing lines. No discharging of firearms are allowed by law outside of the designated firing lines.
Also, under our permit with the Los Padres National Forest, WCGC shooting ranges will be closed during cultural holidays such as winter and summer solstices and spring and autumn equinoxes. The club also must be closed to all shooting activities from Sunset to Sunrise.
WCGC acknowledges and adheres to the agreement we have with the Los Padres National Forest. We feel privileged to uphold the agreement. Please help us follow our agreement and help make WCGC a safe place to shoot.
Please see below for more information from the Los Padres National Forest Order.
Forest Order 05-07-00-21-01 Firearms Prohibition
• Forest Order
CLICK HERE for up to date information regarding the Los Padres National Forest.
Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(a), and to provide for public safety and protect natural resources, the following act is prohibited within the Los Padres National Forest. This Order is effective from December 22, 2021, through December 31, 2022.
Discharging a firearm, except in the following designated target ranges:
a. Winchester Canyon Gun Club
b. Ojai Valley Gun Club
36 C.F.R. § 261.58(m).
Pursuant to 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue, fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.
Persons hunting a legal game bird or mammal are not exempt from the prohibition listed above. However, a person hunting during the open-hunting season for a game bird or mammal as specified by the laws of the State of California and having a valid California hunting license in his or her possession, may discharge a firearm at the legal game bird or mammal.
This prohibition is in addition to the general prohibitions in 36 C.F.R. Part 261, Subpart A.
A violation of this prohibition is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six months, or both. 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 18 U.S.C. §§ 3559, 3571, and 3581.
Executed in Solvang, California this 21th day of December 2021.
Christopher J. Stubbs
Acting Forest Supervisor Los Padres National Forest
This Order supersedes Order 05-07-00-21-06, dated June 30, 2021.If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.